Using Garmin GPS is not a difficult task. All you have to do is install the device, configure it, get the satellite signals, explore, register, and set the device. In this guide, we will provide you with the detailed instruction for each step.
How to Use Garmin GPS for the First Time
If you are using the Garmin Nuvi for the first time, follow these steps.
Step 1: Install the GPS
- First, you need to clean the vehicle’s windshield with a clean cloth. Removing the plastic cover of the suction cup, attach it to the windshield.
- On the right side of the cradle, you will find the power connector. Plugin the car power cable there.
- Make sure that the suction cup arm holds the cradle properly.
- Lever back on the windshield.
- Attach the Garmin GPS bottom to the cradle.
- Slant the device until it’s fixed to its position.
- Now, you need to check if the device is working. Plug the other end of the power cable into the power source outlet in your vehicle. The unit should turn on immediately when plugged and your vehicle is running.
Step 2: Configure the Device
- Slide the power key to the left of the device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 3: Garmin Locating Satellites First Time for the Signal
- Drive your vehicle in an open place away from tall structures.
- Stop the vehicle and turn on the device
- Getting satellite signals might take some time. Check the bars indicating satellite strength. If one bar is green, your device has acquired satellite signals. Now pick a destination and steer to it!
Step 4: It’s Time to Explore!
The screen will display-
- GPS satellite strength on the upper left of the screen
- The time
- Battery status
- Bluetooth status
- “View Map” icon to see the map
- “Where To?” icon to find a destination
- Speaker icon to control the volume
- Phone icon to make a call
- Tools icon to use media players, settings and help
Step 5: Register and Set the Device
Register Your Device
Nuvi 50 LM uses my dashboard whereas Nuvi52LM and Nuvi2597 LMT use Garmin Express to register. You can make your vehicle logo and navigation voices, download updated software and maps.
You will get a USB cable included. Connect its small end at the back of your device and plug another end into your computer. Start navigation to register your device.
You can save your present location or any other location to the device. Click on the “Where To?” icon and go for “Go Home.” Now, in the “Set Home Location,” you can type a location, select a recently found location or use your present location. Save it to your home location.
You can watch this video for help.
If you want to add locations, search the location by categories, address, or by browsing the map. Select the location from the given option. Click save and ok if you are using Nuvi52LM and 50LM. If you are using Nuvi 2597LMT, select the menu icon, information icon, and save. For other Nuvi models, tap the vehicle icon and save location to save your present location.
Set Navigation Preferences
You can change routes as calculated. For Nuvi 2597LMT, tap on settings, directions, and mode of calculation. If you are using Nuvi 50LM and Nuvi 52LM, click on settings, directions, and route preference. You can avoid highways, U-Turns, toll roads, ferries, and interstates by tapping settings, navigation, and avoidances.
Do I need a GPS?
Making the right decision in your journey is important if you want to reach the destination on time without any issue. A GPS can help you with it. It will help you reach your desired location without any hindrance.
Why Garmin GPS?
If you haven’t installed a GPS, then upgrade your car with the smart Garmin GPS. Garmin is a well-known GPS device manufacturer for its affordability and simple use. They are renowned for handheld GPS, marine GPS, vehicle, and outdoor GPS systems.
With a press of a button, it can provide emergency roadside assistance. It helps you track your location and suggests the best route to reach your destination.
The first thing you should do is determine which Garmin GPS you need. You will find various models of Garmin GPS. Most of the models have similar functions. However, there can be minor differences among them. So, it’s important to select a specific model if you are looking for detailed instructions.
Q: Why can’t My Garmin GPS Find Location?
Ans: You should verify and re-submit the location. If your device still can’t find the location, it means that the map isn’t updated with the latest version. You have to install the Garmin GPS updates.
Q: What to Do If My GPS Doesn’t Get Any Signal?
Ans: Make sure that the GPS antenna is plugged in properly. If your GPS still doesn’t get any signal whether it is a marine GPS or vehicle one, there is a possibility of no GPS reception in your location. You need to update your GPS map regularly as older versions might not cover some of the remote locations.
Having a Garmin GPS in your vehicle is a smart decision. You will find it in most automobiles. So, it’s important to learn how to use a Garmin GPS. In this article, we have provided you with the necessary instructions. Make sure to follow them. Also, you must update your device regularly as the new versions come with beneficial features.